Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Sunny Cups





{lindsay tarquinio}

I don't always eat breakfast in the morning (not good, I know), but I absolutely love breakfast food. I was the kind of kid who wanted to have pancakes during snack time and Eggs Benedict for dinner on a school night. I suppose growing up Filipino, the traditional American breakfast always appealed to be because traditional Filipino breakfasts are not so different from any other meal of the day; mostly savory with a hefty portion of meat or fish and sautéed veggies over steamed white rice, sometimes with a fried egg on top for good measure. So anyhoo, I'm always on the lookout for quick, easy and healthy breakfast options and found these baked egg cups on The Simple Delights. I think they look like sunshine in a breakfast cup, don't you?


Baked Egg Cups

Ingredients

12 large organic eggs

12 thin round slices of deli ham

1/2 cup of your favorite cheese (this recipe called for Parmesan)

1/2 cup diced scallions

Fresh cracked Sea Salt and Pepper

Preparation

Preheat the oven to 400.  Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray.  Lay a piece of ham in each hole creating a little ham cup.  Crack one egg into each hole and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Bake the eggs for about 12 minutes, until the white is firm and the yolk is still nice and runny.

Carefully remove each egg from the muffin tin and top with grated cheese and scallions.  Serve hot.  Yield: 12

Bonus points, these baked egg cups are only 100 calories a cup and have 17.6 grams of protein each. Get yourself in the kitchen asap! I promise this is a good one.


2 comments:

Gita said...

Those look delicious. Now I'm hungry ;). Great captures!

xx
http://gita-oddsandends.blogspot.com/

Christie said...

Yum! These look so good!

I love making breakfast for dinner. My kids love berry pancakes with homemade buttermilk syrup...or a spicy breakfast strata with fresh salsa and sour cream. Now my stomach is growling. I love breakfast!